Wednesday, October 3, 2012

DIY painted canvas

Due to the belated nature of this post, I don't have specific step-by-step instructions with photos to go along with them, But I do however, have a picture of the finished product:


This is seriously so easy and cheap to make.

Supplies:
  • masking tape or blue painters tape 
  • craft paint
  • canvas (I went to Michael's and bought a set of 2 for about $8 with a coupon on my phone (their app has great coupons and I have never purchased anything there without one! 40% off all the time!))
  • brushes (I used the cheap-o ones from Michael's as well...I think they're $1 for 2)
  • a ruler
I started by measuring the distance across the entire width of the canvas and then deciding how many colors I wanted to use.  

The canvas was about 20 inches wide and the tape was 2 inches wide, so I did the minimal math skills required because I was going to have 4 tape strips separating my 5 colors (20-8=12) and then divided that up somehow to make a gradual size shift from the largest space to smallest space (I might have flubbed that one...I totally could have just placed the tape, but there was some mathematical computation there....somewhere...)

3 1/4 in, 3 in, 2 1/2 in, 2 in, 1 1/2 in...whatevs..it equals 12 1/4...

Then I just painted in a gradiating color pallet to give it an ombre vibe!  

Easy as pie and a nice accent to a plain wall.


No comments: